Berkeley Bicycle Accident Lawyer
California is the most populous state in the country. As such, it makes sense that California also has the most bicyclists out on the road every day and that bicycle accidents are common in California. As cyclists try to share the road with other cyclists, vehicles, and pedestrians, they often have many close calls during a single ride. Sometimes, those close calls turn into actual accidents, and leave cyclists with serious injuries.
When this is the case, it is important for cyclists to know they have options if the accident was caused by someone else’s negligence. A Berkeley bicycle accident lawyer can help those injured hold responsible parties liable for paying any compensation accident victims are owed.Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Berkeley
There are many dangers cyclists face when they head out on the roads. Most of the time, these dangers involve the motorists with whom bikers share the road. Drivers are the cause of most bicycle accidents. Common driver errors that cause bicycle accidents are:
- Dooring: This occurs when a motorist parks and opens the car door into the path of an oncoming cyclist.
- Side-swiping: When a motorist does not give a cyclist enough room when passing, the vehicle can side-swipe the cyclist, causing great injury.
- Rear-ending: When drivers do not pay attention to the road or look for cyclists, they often do not see them until it is too late. When this occurs, the vehicle often ends up rear-ending the cyclist.
- Right crossing and left crossing: This happens when a vehicle enters an intersection, or emerges from an alley or a side road. The cyclist has already entered the intersection, yet the motorist turns anyway, striking the biker.
- Drivers turning right: Like right crossing and left crossing, these accidents occur when a driver turns into a cyclist. In these cases though, both vehicles are traveling straight before the turn is made. As the cyclist travels straight through the intersection, inattentive the driver makes the turn, hitting the biker.
These common causes of bicycle accidents are all due to a driver’s negligence. When a bicyclist is injured in any of these accidents, or any other that involves an inattentive driver, he or she can hold the motorist liable. A Berkeley bicycle accident lawyer can help an injured victim file a claim.Common Injuries After a Bicycle Accident
Cyclists have very little protection in the event of an accident. Even with a helmet and protective gear, the sheer force of a car is too great an impact for the cyclist to withstand. Due to this, when bikes and cars get into crashes on the roads, the biker always sustains the worst injuries. Some of these include:
- Broken clavicle bone
- Broken leg
- Hand fractures
- Road rash
- Brain injury
- Elbow fractures
- Head and neck injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint dislocation
- Dental and jaw injuries
All of these injuries are not only extremely painful, they are also costly to treat. They can leave accident victims out of work for some time. When these or any other injuries are sustained in a bike accident, victims must speak to a Berkeley bicycle accident lawyer for help.Call Our Berkeley Bicycle Accident Lawyers for Help with Your Claim
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident that was the fault of someone else, our Berkeley bicycle accident attorneys can help. At the Brod Law Firm, we know just how vulnerable bicyclists are when they head out on the road. We understand these rides often turn into tragedy and when they do, we know how to hold responsible parties liable for paying you the compensation you need. Call us today at (800) 427-7020 for your free consultation so we can start reviewing your case.