Beverly Hills Bed Bug Lawyer
Beverly Hills is one of the top destination spots in the country every year for tourists. More than seven million people visit the city every year, and that number is only climbing. If you have visited Beverly Hills and have rented accommodations such as an apartment, home, or Airbnb, you expect not to be harmed while there. If you are, such as if you suffer from a bed bug infestation or bring one home with you, it is important to know your rights. You may be able to claim damages for your losses, including medical bills, the cost of eradicating the infestation, emotional distress, and more. Beverly Hills and the rest of California have many laws regarding bed bug infestations. You must establish that the owner of the property was aware of the issue or that they failed to take the appropriate steps to prevent an infestation from occurring. Below, our Beverly Hills bed bug lawyer explains the law and when you can file a claim.The Bed Bug Law in Beverly Hills
In response to the ever-growing bed bug problem in the state, California amended its landlord-tenant laws many years ago. Under the law, landlords and owners of properties have many responsibilities. These are as follows:
- Landlords and property owners have a duty to document any infestation of bed bugs and provide anyone who stays on the premises with written notice of the problem.
- When pest control companies or exterminators inspect for bed bugs, or treat the premises, landlords and property owners must inform anyone staying on the premises within two days of obtaining the report.
- Property owners are prohibited from renting, showing, or leasing any property that has a current bed bug infestation.
- Property owners cannot retaliate against or penalize people staying on a property for reporting a bed bug infestation.
Any time a property owner fails to fulfill their duty, they can be held liable for paying full damages to those harmed. If you are not sure who is to blame for your bed bugs, reach out to a bed bug attorney in Beverly Hills today.Do Tenants Have Any Legal Duties During a Bed Bug Infestation?
Unfortunately, the law does not completely absolve tenants of any liability when a bed bug infestation exists on a property. Tenants can also be found liable if they cause an infestation to develop or if they fail to prevent one from occurring. In these cases, landlords can actually file a claim against negligent tenants. The legal duties of tenants are as follows:
- Tenants and guests on properties must inform the owner as soon as a bed bug infestation is discovered.
- Guests and tenants must keep rental units in a clean and sanitary condition.
- Tenants and guests must repair any damage they cause to units, including eliminating a bed bug infestation they caused.
- Guests and tenants must cooperate with property owners when they are trying to fix the problem, such as providing access to the unit.
Bed bug lawsuits are very complicated. At Brod Law Firm, our Beverly Hills bed bug attorney can determine who is liable for your losses and help you obtain the full and fair settlement you justly deserve. Call us now at (800) 427-7020 or fill out our online form to schedule a free review of your case and to get the legal help you need.