Fairfield Bicycle Accident Lawyer
California is a very bicycle-friendly state. Improvements are constantly being made to intersections, bike paths, and bike lanes, all in an effort to keep cyclists safe. Unfortunately, these improvements do not always work as they are intended to, and drivers regularly fail to look out for cyclists, which results in serious crashes. In an accident between a cyclist and a vehicle, it is always the individual on the bike who sustains the worst injuries. If you have been injured in a crash caused by a negligent driver, a Fairfield bicycle accident lawyer can help you claim the compensation you need so you can make a full recovery.Common Types of Bicycle Accidents in Fairfield
A bicycle accident can occur for any reason, but there are some types of crashes that are more common than others. These include:
- Car doors: Known as dooring accidents, these crashes occur when a driver opens the door of a parked car into the path of a cyclist. The cyclist then crashes into the door, causing injuries.
- Driveways and alleyways: As drivers exit driveways and alleyways, they may look to ensure there are no oncoming cars, but they do not look for cyclists in the same way. As the cyclist crosses the path of a driveway or alley, the driver then crashes into them.
- Sideswipe accidents: When drivers do not properly check their blind spots, they may not see a cyclist that is in that space. In these accident cases, drivers often argue that the cyclist was too far to the left, but riding too far to the right of the road also increases the risk of a dooring accident.
Regardless of the type of crash, bicycle accidents make up some of the worst in terms of resulting injuries. Fortunately, there are ways cyclists can reduce the risk. If you have been injured by a negligent motorist, reach out to a bicycle accident attorney in Fairfield for help right away.Preventing Bicycle Accidents
Although no one can ever fully predict the negligent behavior of drivers, there are ways for bikers to reduce the risk of being involved in a bicycle accident. The most important tips include:
- Wear a helmet at all times, even though California law does not require them for bikers over the age of 18.
- Always use appropriate hand signals when turning, stopping, or slowing down.
- Always comply with all bicycle and road laws.
- Wear brightly colored clothing so drivers can see you at all times.
- When riding at night, equip the bike with a bright light and wear reflective clothing.
- Ride in the same direction as traffic rather than against it.
- Equip your bike with rear-view mirrors to increase your field of vision.
When these safety tips are not enough, it is important to speak to a Fairfield bicycle accident lawyer who can help you claim the compensation you need.We can Help
If you have been hit by a negligent driver while out on your bicycle, you are likely suffering from serious injuries. At the Brod Law Firm, a bicycle accident attorney in Fairfield understands how costly treatments are for those injuries and how to claim the compensation you need to cover those expenses. When you are hurt, call us at (800) 427-7020 or contact us online to schedule a free case evaluation and to learn more about how we can help.