Fairfield Product Liability Lawyer
Fairfield residents use products every day to perform essential tasks, to get around the city, and to take care of their own health and well-being. In most cases, these products work exactly as they are intended to and they make people’s lives easier. Sometimes, however, products are defective and end up causing real injury to those who use them. When this happens, accident victims can file a claim against the manufacturer for compensation. These claims are never easy, though, so if you have been hurt, it is important to speak to a Fairfield product liability lawyer.Types of Product Defects
California law dictates that consumers can only file a claim for compensation against a manufacturer if a product contains at least one of the following three types of defects:
- A flaw in the design of the product that rendered it unsafe
- A flaw in the manufacturing process that made it unsafe
- A failure to warn consumers of inherent dangers associated with using the product
People in Fairfield can file a claim for liability under one of three legal theories. These include:
- Strict liability: This theory states that injured consumers can file a claim for compensation against a manufacturer if a product was used as it was intended, but a defect caused an injury to the consumer. This theory is only applicable when the defect existed at the time the product was sold and someone was later injured by it.
- Negligence: Manufacturers, sellers, and suppliers are expected to take reasonable care when manufacturing, maintaining, packaging, or otherwise handling their consumer products. When any of these parties fails to take the appropriate care, they can be considered negligent and therefore liable for paying damages.
- Breach of warranty: Manufacturers often offer a warranty with their products, whether it is written or implied. If something is wrong with the product and the manufacturer refuses to comply with the warranty agreement, they can be held liable with the assistance of a product liability attorney in Fairfield.
Individuals who are injured by defective products are entitled to recover any losses, or damages, they sustained. The most common of these include:
- Medical bills
- Lost income
- Loss of earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Property damage
In some cases, a judge may also award punitive damages. These damages are intended to punish the defendant for gross recklessness or carelessness. Punitive damages are rare but in some cases, they are also appropriate.A Product Liability Attorney in Fairfield can Help
No one should use a product they assume is safe only to become injured by it. If you have been hurt by a product, our Fairfield product liability lawyer at the Brod Law Firm can help. Attorney Brod knows how to go up against manufacturers and their insurance companies to help accident victims secure the full amount of damages they deserve. If you have been injured, call us today at (800) 427-7020 or contact us online to schedule a free case evaluation.