Fresno Car Accident Lawyer
The majority of car accidents in Fresno are minor and do not result in serious injuries. Still, sometimes they are much more severe, and people suffer catastrophic injuries that affect them not only in the short term, but for many months or years to come. These crashes are typically caused by a negligent, or careless, party. In these cases, you can file a claim against the negligent driver to recover financial compensation for your injuries and other losses. Unfortunately, just because you have a legal right to obtain damages after a car accident does not mean they are easy to claim. Insurance companies are more worried about their own profit margins than making sure your well-being and safety are protected. Our Fresno car accident lawyer can help ensure you receive the full settlement you deserve.What to Do After a Car Accident
After any car accident, you will likely feel angry, confused, and frustrated. These emotions are natural, but it is important to remain calm so you can take immediate action. The most important steps to take after a car accident in Fresno are as follows:
- Report the accident, which is required by California law if you have suffered injuries, death was involved, or property damage that exceeds $1,000 in value.
- Exchange contact information, driver’s license numbers, and insurance information with any other motorist involved.
- Take pictures and video footage of the entire accident scene, your injuries, and any damage to the vehicles involved.
- Visit a hospital, medical clinic, or doctor immediately afterward to receive the necessary medical treatment.
- Notify your own insurance company of the crash, even if you were not at fault.
- Speak to a Fresno car accident attorney who can advise you of your rights and handle the legal aspects of your claim.
After any car accident, you will have to deal with an insurance company. This is one of the hardest aspects of any car accident claim. It is always best to contact a lawyer who can speak to the insurance company on your behalf. Still, the insurer or adjuster may contact you in the days and weeks following the crash. When they do, it is best to follow the below tips:
- Do not accept blame. Even apologizing for the fact the crash happened at all could be used against you.
- Do not sign anything. The insurer may ask you to sign a medical release or a settlement agreement that does not provide the maximum damages you need to make a full recovery.
- Do not agree to a recorded statement. In California you must consent to having a conversation recorded and if you do not, anything recorded cannot be used against you.
If you have been hurt in a crash, do not file your claim until you have spoken to our car accident attorney in Fresno at Brod Law Firm. Our experienced attorney can advise on the steps to take and negotiate with the insurance company to help you obtain the full settlement you deserve. Call us now at (800) 427-7020 or contact us online to schedule a free review of your case.