Oakland Slip and Fall Lawyer
Contrary to what many people think, slip and fall accidents are not minor events. When someone trips or slips, they may fall back and hit their head, sustaining a traumatic brain injury or even paralysis in the process. Even a seemingly minor injury, such as a broken wrist, can result in a person being unable to work for months. The pain and suffering after an injury can also remain with accident victims long-term. If you have been hurt, you may be able to file a claim against the property owner for compensation. Our Oakland slip and fall lawyer can help you claim the full damages you deserve.Elements of Proof in Slip and Fall Claims
You may know that a negligent property owner caused your injuries, but you must prove this fact when filing a claim. To obtain the full and fair settlement you are entitled to, you must prove the following elements of your case:
- The defendant occupied, owned, controlled, or leased the property,
- The defendant negligently maintained or used their property,
- You suffered injuries as a result of a slip and fall accident, and
- The defendant’s negligence was the direct cause of the accident that caused you injury.
When proving a slip and fall claim, it is critical that you have strong evidence that corroborates your claim. Some of the best evidence used in these cases includes:
- Expert testimony
- Eyewitness testimony
- Video surveillance footage of the location and of the accident
- Photos of the hazardous condition that caused or contributed to the fall
- Previous history of slip and fall accidents on the same property
- Incident reports
- Maintenance records
An Oakland slip and fall attorney can help you gather this evidence while you focus on recovering from your injuries.Compensation After a Slip and Fall Accident
There are many different types of compensation, legally known as damages, that you can recover after a slip and fall accident. These are as follows:
- Economic damages: Losses such as medical expenses, lost income, and expenses for assistive medical devices are known as economic damages because they have a concrete dollar value. Therefore, these damages are very easy to calculate.
- Non-economic damages: Not all losses have an actual dollar value, and these are known as non-economic damages. Some of the most common non-economic damages awarded in slip and fall claims are those for emotional distress, pain and suffering, and loss of consortium.
- Punitive damages: Also known as exemplary damages, this type of compensation is meant to punish the defendant for their actions and not to compensate you for losses. Punitive damages are rare, as they are only awarded when defendants exhibit gross negligence or wanton disregard for the safety of others.
At Brod Law Firm, our slip and fall attorney in Oakland, knows the devastating injuries that can result from a slip and fall. Our experienced attorney also has the necessary experience to help clients obtain the full and fair damages they need. Call us now at (800) 427-7020 or reach out to us online to schedule a free review of your case.