Sacramento Slip and Fall Lawyer
Slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere, and when they do, they can result in catastrophic injuries. A person may trip on a cracked sidewalk, fall back, and hit their head, leaving them with a traumatic brain injury or even paralysis. Broken bones, nerve damage, and even internal damage to the organs can result from a slip and fall accident. If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, it is important that you speak to a Sacramento slip and fall lawyer today.How to Prove a Slip and Fall Claim
Unfortunately, simply stating that you were injured in a slip and fall accident and that the property owner was at fault is not enough to recover damages for your injuries. To secure compensation for a slip and fall accident, you must prove:
- The defendant owned, occupied, leased, or controlled the property,
- The defendant was negligent in their use or maintenance of the property,
- You were injured during the slip and fall accident, and
- The defendant’s negligence was the direct cause of the injuries
Evidence is crucial when proving these points, and your slip and fall attorney in Sacramento can help you gather everything necessary to prove your case. The most common evidence used in slip and fall claims includes:
- Video surveillance footage of the fall
- Eyewitness testimony
- Expert testimony
- Previous history of slip and falls on the same premises
- Pictures of the dangerous condition that caused the fall
- Maintenance records
- Police report and incident reports
There are many different types of damages available in slip and fall accidents and the type you receive will depend on the facts of your case. The three types of damages available in all personal injury claims include:
- Economic damages: These types of damages refer to losses that have an actual dollar value. The most common types of these damages include medical expenses, lost income, loss of earning capacity, and expenses for assistive medical devices.
- Non-economic damages: Just as economic damages have a concrete dollar value, non-economic damages do not. This makes calculating these damages much more difficult. Pain and suffering, emotional distress, and loss of consortium are some of the most common types of non-economic damages.
- Exemplary damages: Also known as punitive damages, this type of compensation is not intended to help you recover your losses. Instead, it is meant to punish the negligent party that caused your injury. Exemplary damages are rarely awarded in slip and fall cases and are only included when a person has displayed gross negligence.
After reviewing a case, a slip and fall attorney in Sacramento can help determine the full amount of damages you are entitled to receive.We can Help With Your Case
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, do not take on your case alone. At the Brod Law Firm, our Sacramento slip and fall lawyer can help. Attorney Brod has extensive experience helping accident victims claim compensation for their injuries and he will put that experience to work for you, too. When you are hurt, call us today at (800) 427-7020 or contact us online to schedule a free case evaluation.