San Francisco Nursing Home Fall Lawyer
Over 1,800 elders die every year from falls in nursing homes. While that statistic is sad, it is even more frustrating to know that most of these falls are preventable and are only a result of neglect within a facility. Nursing home staff members are responsible for understanding the inherent risks falls pose to elderly residents, and for creating and implementing a fall prevention program for all residents. Our San Francisco nursing home fall lawyer knows that when residents fall in a nursing home, they sustain serious injuries that include hip fractures, other broken bones, and that they can pass away from those injuries. If your loved one has suffered a fall in a nursing home, call us for the help you need.Common Causes of San Francisco Nursing Home Falls
Some of the most common causes that result in injuries and even wrongful death are as follows:
- Different hazards, such as poor lighting, wet floors, wheelchairs that are not properly maintained, bed heights that are not properly adjusted, and equipment that is left out,
- Medications that can interfere with a resident’s balance, coordination, focus, and result in relaxed muscles,
- Shoes and walking aids that do not fit properly or that do have properly adjusted heights,
- Regular use of restraints, which can negatively impact muscle tone,
- Failure to provide proper bathing assistance, such as grips and chairs,
- Improper transfers in or out of bed,
- Failure to engage wheelchairs lock,
- Failure to properly maintain walkways and stairways.
Many of the causes of falls in nursing homes are due to the fact that these facilities are notoriously understaffed. Still, this is no excuse and a San Francisco nursing home fall attorney can help you file a claim for damages.Recoverable Damages in Nursing Home Fall Lawsuits
If your loved one has suffered from a fall, you can help them recover both economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages refer to costs that have an actual concrete value. These types of damages primarily consist of medical expenses in nursing home fall cases. Medical costs can include past and future care as well as surgical fees, hospitalization, in-patient rehabilitation, and physical therapy.
Non-economic damages consist of losses that do not have a concrete dollar value. Pain and suffering, as well as permanent disabilities, are two of the most common types of non-economic damages claimed in nursing home fall cases.A Nursing Home Fall Lawyer in San Francisco Can Help Your Family
Falls pose a great risk to the elderly, and they can result in some of the most serious injuries and even death. If your loved one has suffered from a fall, a nursing home fall attorney in San Francisco at Brod Law Firm can help. Attorney Brod knows how to investigate these claims and collect evidence that will help you hold the nursing home liable for your family member’s injuries. Call us today at (800) 427-7020 or fill out our online form to schedule a free case review and to learn more about how we can help.