San Rafael Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Cycling is a preferred mode of transportation for many people in San Rafael. It is better for the environment than driving a vehicle, allows cyclists to exercise, and is a great way to enjoy the beautiful climate. Cyclists though, know the risks they take any time they head out onto the road. Drivers do not watch for them and regardless of how safe the cyclist is, they sometimes end up in a crash. Bicycle accidents cause some of the worst injuries on California’s roads and cyclists can file a claim against negligent drivers to recover the costs associated with a crash. Personal injury claims, however, are never easy. A San Rafael bicycle accident lawyer can help injured individuals secure the fair settlement they deserve.Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Cyclists take many preventative measures when they are out on the roads so they can avoid a crash. Still, the negligence of other drivers often causes an accident. The most common causes of these collisions include:
- Vehicles turning into the path of cyclists: Drivers sometimes think they have enough time and room to make a turn after overtaking a cyclist, but they do not. Many drivers even admit after a crash that they did not see the cyclist at the side of the road.
- Blind spot accidents: Drivers check for large vehicles in their blind spots when changing lanes or turning, but they too often fail to look for cyclists.
- Dooring: Dooring occurs when a driver parks their vehicle and opens the door into the path of an oncoming cyclist.
- Reckless driving: When motorists drive recklessly, they have little regard for the safety of others on the road. Although other drivers can become injured due to a reckless driver, cyclists will still almost always sustain the worst injuries.
- Left turns: These turns are very dangerous for cyclists. When making a left turn, cyclists must leave the safety of a bike lane or shoulder and enter traffic. Even when a cyclist makes it to the left turn lane safely, drivers in oncoming traffic do not watch for cyclists to ensure the intersection is clear before proceeding.
The injuries sustained in bicycle accidents range from mild and uncomfortable to severe and sometimes fatal. No matter the degree of your injuries, an experienced bicycle accident attorney in San Rafael can help. The most common injuries to cyclists include:
- Road rash: This is a series of cuts and scrapes that result from being knocked to the ground. Road rash can easily become infected and cause a much more serious secondary injury.
- Soft tissue injuries: The back and shoulders are the most likely to sustain these injuries.
- Broken bones: This is a very serious injury, usually caused by the actual car crashing into the cyclist, or because the cyclist fell to the ground.
- Head injuries: Even bicycle helmets, which are not mandatory for adults in San Rafael, are sometimes not enough to protect from these very serious injuries.
- Psychological injuries: Not all injuries are physical. Bicycle accidents are traumatic and can cause people to never get on a bike again, even when they were avid bikers before the crash.
Cyclists have the same rights as drivers of motor vehicles on the road but unfortunately, motorists do not always respect those rights. If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, a knowledgeable bicycle accident attorney in San Rafael can help with your claim. At the Brod Law Firm, we know how to accurately evaluate these claims and hold insurance companies accountable for paying the full settlement you deserve. Call us today at (800) 427-7020 or contact us online to schedule a free case evaluation and to learn more about how we can help.