San Rafael Product Liability Lawyers
Consumers use products every day. Rarely, if ever, do they expect to become hurt by them. Unfortunately, it happens all the time, and when it does, accident victims should hold manufacturers liable for their injuries. Although manufacturers must meet very high standards to ensure consumers are safe, claims involving defective products can still become complex. A San Rafael product liability lawyer can help victims claim the full amount of damages they need to recover from their injuries.What are Product Liability Claims?
The term ‘product liability’ refers to manufacturers and business owners who are responsible for injuries consumers sustain from a defective product. When people become injured, they can file a personal injury claim against either entity to hold them liable for paying damages. In San Rafael, manufacturers and business owners are held strictly liable for all injuries. That means that accident victims do not have to prove the defendant was negligent. They must only prove that the defective product caused their accident while they were using it in the manner intended.
Like most other personal injury claims in California, the statute of limitations on product liability cases is two years. This is the amount of time you have to file your claim. If the statute of limitations expires, you will likely forfeit your right to compensation. A product liability attorney in San Rafael can help ensure that you do not miss any deadlines in filing your claim.Most Common Types of Product Liability Claims
Again, consumers do not expect to become injured by the products they use and so, they do not think it happens that often. In California, however, it is a fairly frequent occurrence. The most common types of product liability claims filed in the state include:
- Jewelry, clothing, and fashion accessories
- Sports equipment
- Industrial equipment and machinery
- Contaminated food
- Cleaning products and chemicals
- Medical devices
- Household appliances
- Children’s products
- Auto defects
In addition to common types of defective products, there are also different types of product liability claims, which are as follows:
- Design defect: These claims involve defective products in which the design was inherently flawed. For example, if an automaker created a new car that was not equipped with airbags, that is a design defect.
- Manufacturing defect: These claims do not involve defects in the design, but in the manufacturing process. Using the example above, a manufacturer may include airbags within the design of their vehicle, but if those airbags are not made properly and cause an injury, this is a manufacturing defect.
- Failure to warn: Some products are dangerous by their very nature. In these instances, manufacturers have a responsibility to warn consumers of the potential danger.
Defective products cause injuries every day in California and when they do, you can hold manufacturers liable. If you or a loved one has been hurt by a defective product, a product liability attorney in San Rafael at Brod Law Firm can help. Call us today at (800) 427-7020 or contact us online to schedule a free case evaluation and to learn more abou