Sonoma Hotel Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Lawyer
According to the American Council on Science and Health, carbon monoxide poisoning is the fourth-leading cause of death in the country. More people are killed by carbon monoxide poisoning than terrorist acts and mass shootings combined and just like those events, deaths from overexposure to carbon monoxide are completely preventable. Sometimes, people do recover from carbon monoxide poisoning, but in the most tragic cases, this type of overexposure is only detected once a person has passed away. If you or someone you love has been exposed to carbon monoxide while on someone else’s property, it is essential that you speak with a Sonoma hotel carbon monoxide poisoning lawyer as soon as possible.What is Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
Carbon monoxide poisoning is an emergency that is life-threatening. This type of poisoning occurs when someone inhales an excessive amount of carbon monoxide fumes. Carbon monoxide poisoning is known as the silent killer because it is colorless, odorless, and tasteless. Any time a fuel such as wood, gasoline, or natural gas is burned, carbon monoxide is created, which is why the potential for overexposure on hotel grounds is so great. The most common causes of carbon monoxide poisoning in hotels are as follows:
- Tobacco smoke
- Defective cooking appliances
- Clogged chimneys
- Exhaust from idling vehicles
- Defective coal, oil, gas, or wood furnaces
- Defective water heaters
- Defective clothes dryers that are gas-operated
- Camping appliances, such as heating units, grills, and pool heaters
- Boat engines
Unfortunately, the above are just a few ways in which people suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning while staying in a hotel. To ensure preventable deaths and injuries do not occur, the California legislature has created laws pertaining to carbon monoxide detectors.The Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act
The Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act was passed in California in 2010 to help prevent injuries and deaths from occurring. The law requires property owners of dwellings to install carbon monoxide detectors in all condos, apartments, homes, and hotels in which fuel-burning appliances, heaters, and furnaces are used. If a building has a garage attached to it, a carbon monoxide detector must also be installed.
Any time a landlord or property owner does not install carbon monoxide detectors properly and someone becomes hurt or killed as a result, the property owner can be held liable. Injured individuals, or their loved ones, can file a claim to recover damages such as medical expenses, lost income, funeral and burial expenses, and more. A hotel carbon monoxide poisoning lawyer in Sonoma can help ensure accident victims claim the fair settlement they deserve.Our Hotel Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Attorney in Sonoma Can Help You Claim Damages
Carbon monoxide poisoning claims far too many lives every year, and those deaths are entirely preventable. If you or someone you love has been hurt, our Sonoma hotel carbon monoxide poisoning attorney at Brod Law Firm can help you claim the full damages you deserve. Call us today at (800) 427-7020 or fill out our online form to schedule a free case review.