Walnut Creek Bed Bug Lawyer
Whether you are renting an apartment or you are staying in a hotel or AirBNB in Walnut Creek, you never expect to be bitten by bed bugs. Bed bug bites are not only extremely itchy, but the insects are also notorious hitchhikers. Even once you leave the premises, they may be in your luggage or clothing and you may take them wherever you go. If you have been harmed due to a bed bug infestation, you may be able to file a personal injury claim to recover compensation. Our Walnut Creek bed bug lawyer can help you do it.Filing a Claim Based on Negligence
Hotel management or a landlord can be found negligent for bed bug injuries when the following are true:
- The property owner owed you a duty of care,
- The property owner took action a reasonable person would not have, or failed to do something a reasonable person would have,
- The action or inaction of the property owner caused you harm, and
- The harm was foreseeable, meaning the property owner should have known the bed bugs could cause harm.
Property owners are expected to take reasonable steps to ensure they are not leasing or renting a property with a known bed bug infestation. Property owners can also be held liable for an infestation when they do not take reasonable steps to prevent one from occurring.Breach of the Warranty of Habitability
At times, you may also be able to file a claim based on a breach of the warranty of habitability. Property owners have a legal duty to ensure their properties are in habitable condition. Habitable means the premises are suitable for a person to live in and that it does not contain any defects that can put the health and safety of occupants at risk.
Under the California Civil Code, landlords must also keep any area in their control free from:
To file a claim used on breach of warranty of habitability, you must prove the following elements:
- A condition was present on the premises that was defective and affected the habitability of the property,
- You provided the landlord with notice within a reasonable amount of time after discovering the condition,
- The landlord had a reasonable amount of time to correct the defective condition, and
- You suffered harm as a result of the defective condition.
Proving a bed bug claim is never easy, regardless of the grounds you are filing on. Our Walnut Creek bed bug attorney can prove all elements of your case so you obtain the full and fair settlement you deserve.Call Our Bed Bug Lawyer in Walnut Creek for a Free Case Review
At Brod Law Firm, our bed bug attorney in Walnut Creek can prove that a landlord or hotel management has not taken the appropriate care to ensure that you did not suffer harm. Call us now at (800) 427-7020 or contact us online to schedule a free review of your case and to learn more.