Walnut Creek Elder Abuse Lawyer
When seniors reach their twilight years, they often need assistance with their daily needs. It is difficult for loved ones to place them in a nursing home or even to find a caregiver for their family members, but sometimes it is the only choice. While most caregivers provide the highest quality care, a small percentage use their position to take advantage of elders. Sometimes, abuse and negligence even occur. Family members can hold nursing home staff members and caregivers liable for their actions when they have harmed an elder, and a Walnut Creek elder abuse lawyer can help them do it.Types of Elder Abuse
People often think solely of physical abuse when considering elder abuse. Sadly, there are many different types of abuse that can occur, including:
- Physical abuse: Perhaps the most common type of abuse and neglect, physical abuse occurs when a caregiver hits, kicks, or otherwise physically hurts an elder.
- Emotional abuse: This type of abuse occurs when a caregiver yells at, belittles, or humiliates an elder.
- Sexual abuse: No one wants to think any elder is susceptible to sexual abuse, but it does happen. Sexual abuse occurs when a caregiver inappropriately touches an elder or forces them into a sexual act.
- Negligence: Negligence is not an intention to cause harm. Instead, it is a careless act that results in harm to an elder.
- Financial abuse: Financial abuse occurs when a caregiver steals from an elder, or tricks them into signing financial documents to benefit the caregiver.
No matter what type of abuse an elder has been subjected to, they or their family members can hold the abuser liable for paying damages with the help of an elder abuse lawyer in Walnut Creek.What to Do After Discovering Elder Abuse
After discovering an elder is being abused by a caregiver, it is natural to feel angry and frustrated. However, the steps you take afterward are important, so it is important to remain as calm as possible. First and foremost, always remove your loved one from the situation if you feel they are in danger. This could mean firing a caregiver or removing them from a nursing home.
Next, you should report the abuse to Adult Protective Services, an agency that will investigate the abuse. If the abuse did not happen in a long-term care facility, you should also report the abuse to the police.
You should also speak to a Walnut Creek elder abuse attorney as soon as possible. Elder abuse is not only devastating for your family, it can also place a financial burden on you. A lawyer will help you file a claim against the at-fault party so you can claim damages to offset the costs associated with elder abuse.Our California Elder Abuse Lawyer Works Hard for Families
It is incredibly stressful to learn a loved one is being abused, but it is important to know you can take action. At Brod Law Firm, our elder abuse attorneys Walnut Creek are passionate about standing up for those that cannot stand up for themselves. We will determine who is liable for the abuse, and hold them accountable for paying the full settlement you deserve. Call us today at (800) 427-7020 or contact us online to schedule a free case review.