Walnut Creek Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
Walnut Creek is home to some outstanding nursing homes, but unfortunately, not all facilities provide the quality of care that they should. When nursing home staff members are negligent or outright abuse the patients entrusted to their care, elders are at risk of being severely injured. If you or a loved one has been the victim of this type of abuse or neglect, you may be able to seek damages for any losses incurred. A Walnut Creek nursing home abuse lawyer can help your family seek the full compensation you deserve.Common Causes of Nursing Home Abuse
Nursing home abuse is most typically caused by the neglect of staff members. California’s Elder Abuse and Dependent Adult Civil Protection Act allows injured individuals to hold the nursing home and its staff members liable in these instances. The most common causes of nursing home abuse include:
- Inadequate training: Nursing home staff members must have proper training to provide the adequate care residents need. Nursing home owners though, often like to take shortcuts to save money and so, they do not provide the proper training.
- Dangerous staff members: Nursing home owners and managers are also required to perform background checks on all nursing home staff members. When they do not, they may provide access to a dangerous person that will then have close interaction with the residents.
- Understaffing: Perhaps the most common cause of nursing home abuse and neglect is the fact that these facilities are notoriously understaffed and so, there are not enough staff members to properly care for the residents. Still, this is no excuse for nursing home abuse.
- Inadequate security: Nursing homes that do not have adequate security measures may let dangerous people inside the facility, or not realize when a resident walks out.
Sadly, these are just a few common forms of nursing home abuse and neglect. When they occur, injured individuals and their loved ones can file a claim against the nursing home to pursue damages, with the help of a nursing home abuse attorney in Walnut Creek.Damages Available in Nursing Home Abuse Claims
Nursing home abuse and neglect can result in some of the most severe injuries, as well as other losses. When filing a personal injury claim, individuals can seek compensation for all of these damages. The most common types of damages in nursing home abuse claims include:
- Current and future medical costs
- Prescription medication costs
- Physical therapy
- Assistive devices
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Permanent impairments
Due to the fact that nursing home abuse is taken very seriously by the courts and the public, some individuals may even receive punitive damages. Unlike other types of compensation, punitive damages do not compensate the victim, but deter the nursing home from similar behavior in the future. Punitive damages are also much rarer than compensatory damages.A Walnut Creek Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer can Help
Learning that your loved one is a victim of nursing home and abuse is extremely difficult. As you try to correct the situation, it is also important that you hold the nursing home liable and a nursing home abuse attorney in Walnut Creek can help. Attorney Greg Brod understands how difficult these cases are, and how to overcome some of the most common challenges associated with them. He also knows how to negotiate aggressively with the insurance company to help your loved one secure the fair compensation they deserve. When you need solid legal advice, call us at (800) 427-7020 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.