Bakersfield Birth Injury Lawyer
The day a baby is born should be a joyous and exciting time for the entire family. Tragically, sometimes it can be devastating. Births do not always happen as expected, and while these events cannot always be prevented, there are too many instances in which something goes wrong due to the negligence of the attending physicians and other healthcare workers in the delivery room. When these mistakes happen and a child is harmed as a result, it is important that parents understand that they can file a medical malpractice claim against the negligent party to recover the compensation they need. A Bakersfield birth injury lawyer can help them do it.Common Birth Injuries in Bakersfield
Sadly, there are many different types of birth injuries that happen in Bakersfield. The most common of these include:
- Perinatal asphyxia: This is a condition infants suffer when they do not receive enough oxygen during the birth.
- Facial paralysis: This injury is caused by damage to the facial nerve. It can be permanent or temporary, but typically resolves on its own over time.
- Cerebral palsy: One of the most serious birth injuries, a child with cerebral palsy can experience muscle spasms and lack motor skills. There is currently no cure for the condition.
- Spinal cord injuries: Damage to the spine during delivery can lead to neurological issues, paralysis, and even death.
- Caput succedaneum: A condition typically caused by too much pressure on the head during delivery, this can lead to swelling and bruising of the scalp.
- Spina bifida: When the embryonic neural tube does not seal before birth, this devastating condition is a result. Doctors should be able to detect this problem before birth with an ultrasound, and when they do not, it is considered negligence.
These are just a few of the most common types of birth injuries. Any time a child is born with a birth injury, the parents should speak to a birth injury attorney in Bakersfield who can help.The Statute of Limitations on Birth Injury Lawsuits
When doctors and other healthcare workers are negligent and cause a birth injury, it is not only devastating for parents, but it can also be extremely costly. To recover these costs, parents can file a lawsuit, but they only have a limited amount of time to do so. This is due to the statute of limitations on birth injury claims in Bakersfield.
If the birth injury does not involve a public hospital, parents may have until the child’s 8th birthday to file their claim. However, if the hospital was part of a public healthcare district, parents may only have six months to file their claim.Did Your Child Suffer a Birth Injury? Call a Bakersfield Birth Injury Lawyer
If your child has suffered a birth injury, you likely need compensation to pay for the associated costs of that injury. A birth injury attorney in Bakersfield knows how to fight for the rights of you and your child. Markus Willoughby has extensive experience with birth injury cases, and has had substantial success with these claims. He wants to put that experience to work for you and your family, too. Call us today at (800) 427-7020 to schedule a free consultation with him and to learn more about how he can help.