Richmond Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Bicycle accidents are scary. They leave cyclists with serious injuries that cause them to be unable to work and pay for the medical bills they incur. Cyclists who have been hurt in an accident should always report the accident to the police, seek medical attention immediately, and speak to a Richmond bicycle accident lawyer. An attorney can explain the rights accident victims have, and ensure they are upheld at all times.Bicycle Laws in California
Although a bicycle is considered a vehicle and therefore, cyclists have all the same rights as drivers, motorists often infringe on the rights of cyclists on the road. The most important bicycle laws in the state that everyone should be aware of include:
- Right to ride on the street: Section 21200 of the California Vehicle Code provides that cyclists are allowed to ride on the streets with other vehicles, with the exception of freeways and bridges in the event that there is a sign posted.
- Obligation to ride on the right side of the lane: Section 21202 of the California Vehicle Code states that cyclists must ride on the right side of the lane, with the exception of when they are making a left turn or passing a vehicle.
- Riding with the flow: Section 21650 states that cyclists must ride in the same direction as traffic, and not against it.
When these laws are not followed, either the driver or the cyclist may be found negligent in the event of a crash. If you are unsure of your own responsibility for your injuries, a bicycle accident attorney in Richmond can help.Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Any form of negligence on the roads can quickly lead to a bicycle accident. The most common causes are as follows:
- Failing to yield right-of-way
- Intrusion into a bike lane
- Failing to stop at an intersection
- Motorists that drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Distracted drivers
- Poor road conditions
- Poor lighting
- Improper roadway design
There is no way to determine how much compensation injured cyclists can seek from a negligent driver. The value of a claim will depend on many factors, including:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages, including the loss of future wages
- Rehabilitation costs
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
Personal injury claims directly reflect the amount of losses an accident victim sustained. A Richmond bicycle accident lawyer can accurately evaluate a claim so injured individuals receive the full amount of compensation they deserve.Hurt in a Crash? Our Lawyers can Help
Bicyclists who become injured in a crash can file a claim for compensation when drivers are more to blame for the accident than they are. Unfortunately, filing these claims is not easy. The other side will try to argue that you were at fault, so they can avoid paying the damages you deserve. If you have been hurt while on your bike, a bicycle accident attorney in Richmond at the Brod Law Firm can help. We know how to deal with the insurance companies and will aggressively negotiate so you secure the fair settlement you need. Call us today at (800) 427-7020 or contact us online to schedule a free case evaluation.