Sonoma Car Accident Lawyer
Car accidents cause serious injuries that will leave you in an immense amount of pain and mounting medical bills. You may be able to file a claim for compensation afterward, but trying to negotiate with the insurance company while you are recovering is never easy. Insurance companies rarely offer fair settlements, but they are quick to make lowball offers that will not fully cover the cost of your injuries. Insurers are hoping that you will accept a low offer so they can protect their profits and ensure you cannot go back to them for more in the future.
If you have been hurt in a crash, you need someone by your side who will protect your rights. Our Sonoma car accident lawyer knows how to successfully negotiate with the insurance company so you obtain the full and fair damages to which you are entitled.California Car Accident Law
There are multiple legal statutes that govern car crashes in Sonoma. Three of the most important ones are as follows:
- Insurance policy minimums: All motorists in Sonoma are required by law to purchase a minimum amount of liability insurance. The minimum amounts are $15,000 in coverage for injury or death to one person and $30,000 in coverage for any injury or death caused by the accident. You can file a claim against the at-fault driver’s insurance company, but you cannot recover an amount that exceeds the policy limits. However, you may be able to file a lawsuit directly against the negligent driver.
- Comparative fault laws: California is a pure comparative fault state. Under the comparative negligence standard, you can still claim compensation even if you were 99 percent at fault. Any damages you are awarded will then be reduced by your same percentage of fault.
- Statute of limitations: All car accident claims must be filed within a certain amount of time, or you will lose your right to claim any compensation at all. Under the statute of limitations, you have two years from the date of the crash to file a claim or two years from the date you discovered your injuries.
While the above laws are important, there may be others that apply to your case, as well. Our Sonoma car accident attorney can advise you of those and make sure your rights are upheld.What Injuries Do Car Accidents Cause?
Although many of the car crashes in Sonoma are minor, others cause catastrophic injuries. The impact of a serious accident can remain with victims for the rest of their lives. Some of the most common injuries caused by car accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injuries, such as concussions
- Spinal cord injuries, including paralysis
- Back injuries
- Neck injuries, such as whiplash
- Broken bones
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Permanent disabilities
- Soft tissue injuries
The above injuries have the potential to be extremely painful, debilitating, and costly to treat. By filing a claim, you can recover financial compensation to help offset the financial burden imposed by your injuries.Our Car Accident Lawyer in Sonoma Can Help You Claim Maximum Damages
Before filing a claim after a crash, it is important to speak to a car accident attorney in Sonoma. At Brod Law Firm, our skilled attorney can accurately value your claim and negotiate with the insurance company so you claim the full damages you are entitled to. Call us now at (800) 427-7020 or reach out to us online to schedule a free consultation.